If you are running Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 98SE, NT, 2000, XP or Vista and your computer stops responding when opening the data file, resolve the issue by either restarting your computer or ending the task on specific programs that are not responding.
To end the task on programs that are not responding, follow these steps:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard
- Click Task List or Task Manager, depending on your version of Windows.
- Select the program that shows as Not Responding, and click End Task.
Also check the following
Sometimes this happens when the file was previously closed with too many windows open or with a large report open and the preference for Prompt me to modify report options before opening a report is set. When reopening the file, QuickBooks also tries to reopen the windows.
Press the ALT key while opening a company file. This suppresses the windows in QuickBooks, and prevents them from opening as start-up items when you reopen the file.
Press and hold the Alt key while opening the file.
- If the file is password protected, release the ALT key and enter the password.
- Press ALT while clicking OK.
- Continue pressing ALT until the file appears with no windows open.
To prevent this from happening in the future:
- On the QuickBooks Edit menu, select Preferences.
- In the leftmost column, select Desktop View.
- On the My Preferences tab, select Don't save the desktop and click OK.