Employers with 50 or more employees are required to file certain in-year forms online. If you are not already registered to file online, register on HMRC's Web site.
Starting in QuickBooks 2010, you can file most forms for starters and leavers online directly from QuickBooks.
If you need to file a P45(PEN) or P46(EXPAT), see the instructions below for filing directly on the HMRC Web site.
You must only file a form once. If you file online using QuickBooks 2010, make sure you don't also file on the HMRC Web site.
File online from QuickBooks 2010
NOTE: For leavers, make sure you issue the final payment before you follow these steps.
- From the Employees menu, click Payroll Forms then P45/P46 Starter/Leaver Forms.
- Select the employee from the list on the left.
- Click the Select a form drop-down arrow and choose the form to file. If you're unsure, click the Which form? link for guidance.
- Check the Status message.
- Click Missing information to correct or add details
- If the status is Ready to file, continue to the next step.
- In the P45/P46 Starter/Leaver Forms window, click Preview. Then verify the information and close the preview.
- When ready, click File Online. HMRC will let you know if the submission was successful.
If you received any HMRC error messages, correct the problem and repeat the steps above.
File on HMRC site - for QuickBooks 2008, P45(PEN), P46(EXPAT)
You cannot file in-year forms directly from QuickBooks 2008. You must submit these forms through the HMRC's "Online Return and Forms - PAYE" service.
To file online using HMRC's Web Site:
- Collect the information you need from QuickBooks.
- Go the HMRC's Web site and log in.
- Complete the online form. See the HMRC Demonstrator for guidance.
- Log out.