When a QuickBooks function is damaged or when a simple reinstall does not correct an issue, you may need to uninstall QuickBooks, rename installation files left behind, and then reinstall QuickBooks. This process is called a Clean Install or Clean Uninstall.
: Be sure to have your QuickBooks download file
or your installation CD and installation license and product code available before uninstalling QuickBooks.
Rename installation folders
Download and run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
- Download the QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Tool.exe file and save it to your desktop.
- Open QuickBooks_Clean_Install_Utility.exe.
- Click I Accept on the license agreement.
- Select your version of QuickBooks and click Continue to start.
- Click OK when you see the message "QuickBooks is now ready for a clean install, please install to the default directory."
Important: If you do not want to run the QuickBooks Clean Install Utility, you can manually rename the QuickBooks installation folders using the following instructions.
Manually rename the QuickBooks installation folders
Use Windows Explorer to locate
each of the folder locations listed for your version of Windows. As a suggestion, add 'old' or 'damaged' to the end of the folder name. This will prevent QuickBooks from recognizing the folder in order to create a new one.
If you get the message Error: Access Denied when renaming folders:
- Right-click the Windows Taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Click the Image Name column heading to sort processes alphabetically by name.
- Select QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe in the Image Name column.
- Click End Process.
- Click Yes to the message, "WARNING: Terminating a process can cause undesired results including loss of data and system instability...."
To reinstall QuickBooks please use the following help articles: